Need a conversation piece? Check out our top jewelry picks! Jewelry not only makes a great gift, but it is an awesome category for impulse buys and is perfect for those customers who like to treat themselves.
Strong, eye-catching visual merchandising displays are key components to the success of any retail business. Displays set the mood for each and every customer that walks in your door. With powerful color, strong lightening, and amazing products, your visual merchandising displays are your “silent sales person” that should be included in your overall marketing plan each month.
Here are some quick tips you will want to consider when creating a display:
- Start with color: Determine what your color scheme will be for one display. Look around your store and pull products the match or coordinate well with your color scheme. Need help with color schemes? Here are a few: Color Combos, Colour Lovers and Pantone’s website.
- Decide on a theme: Are you pulling together a look around certain products or holiday? For example, maybe you would like to pull together an outdoor summer display. Consider pulling items together like birdhouses, flower pots, gardening items and even outdoor entertaining items such as paper plates, candles, and drinkware. Pulling a display together around a theme will give your customers plenty of ideas and will entice them to buy.
- Ever Changing Display: Ideally, you will want to change out your displays on a weekly basis. Moving and updating your displays will give your store a fresh new look for your customers. Not only will be make it more interesting to look at, your customers will also be more apt to return to your store on a more regular basis. It will make it appear that you have new products all the time.
Looking for creating display ideas? Check out some of my favorite places:
- Swirl Marketing & Retail Details Website
- The Retail Details Facebook Page
- OneCoast Facebook page – Our Retailer Friends Facebook Album
- Gifts & Dec
- Smart Retailer’s Display Gallery – They provide great display ideas by themes and holidays.
- OneCoast Showrooms – Dallas Summer Market 2015
BONUS: Sign up for The Resource to make sure that you are up to date on all display ideas, merchandising suggestions, vendors updates and much more!
Meet Cherie Wilson, OneCoast Territory Manager out of Michigan. Let’s get to know a little more about Cherie!
CW: 8 years!
Q: What is your favorite part about your job?
CW: Meeting new customers and learning about their business.
Q: You’re on the road driving to your next appointment. What tunes are you listening to?
CW: Sam Smith
Q: What do you like to do in your free time?
CW: Ballroom Dancing
Q: Finally, fill in the blank: Be________ today!
CW: Be happy today!
OILILY is known for color. Our collection includes many different prints and hues that can be challenging to mix and match, especially in small spaces. However, we all know how much a successful shop floor presentation can contribute to your sell-through. Let us give you a couple of quick pointers to help your shop floor presentation be the best it can be.
Find matching colors
When putting the final touches on your order or when you receive the OILILY merchandise in your store, find the missing color stories within the season. Our seasons usually contains a couple of color narratives that run through each and every subgroup. Pairing up matching colors and grouping them together allows you to create a little peace and quiet.
Separate Kids from Women’s Bags
Our kid’s and women’s bags are best presented separately. They are very different and each speaks to its own customer. Pairing them together on the same shelf creates confusion. It might be better to place the kids bags with other children lines that you offer and keep the OILILY women’s bags together in the same area.
Change it up!
Especially in small spaces, you don’t want to put too much product on display. We have found that it is best to have just one sample on display and keep the rest in the back. Make sure the sample you have on display is fully stuffed and supported by a bag standard, the zippers are all fully closed and the shoulder strap is tucked away.
You might even consider changing it up if your order is large and diverse. Put a couple of items on display the first couple of weeks, rotate the product and put a second bunch of product on display after that. Your returning customer will be surprised by all of your brand new merchandise!
What about Travel?
Our Travel collection includes some bulky styles, especially our full size suitcases. They can be quite a presence in your store. You want your OILILY bags to stand out but we don’t want to scare the customer away. If you only have limited space available, it might be better to select a couple of items from your stock to peek interest. Make sure you have each colorway in sight. Once you have the customer’s interest, you can show them the rest. Maybe they would like that bag, but in a different color. Why not offer them a Toiletry Bag to go inside their brand new OILILY suitcase? If you cannot put everything on display, you have to be more creative and hands-on in your selling. Guide your customer through the collection and tell them what you have to offer.
We have included more merchandising and selling tips in our New Customer Leaflet. Be sure to check those out as well.
This article was written by Oilily for the OneCoast Blog.